Tuesday 8 October 2013

Koyonjeon Games and Busan Trip

Somehow I'm already in my seventh week of being in Korea, I have no idea how the time has flown by so quickly, sometimes it seems as though I arrived here yesterday, other times it's as if I've been here forever. Since I last wrote a blog post I've been incredibly busy, there's so much to do and see here in Korea! Firstly there was the weekend of the Koyeonjeon games, a huge sports event between rival universities Yonsei and KU, and then the Korean culture class had a field trip to the seaside city of Busan.

The Koyeonjeon games were amazing, on Friday we went to the baseball game, I've never watched a baseball game before in my life, and although I had no idea what was going on there was a really exciting atmosphere which was great to be a part of. Saturday's games were my favourite though, we had really good seats right in the middle of the stands and got to watch the rugby (which we won!) and the football (which we lost...). More important than the sports themselves was the cheering. Both Yonsei and KU had cheers to sing along to the games with, and even when our team lost KU kept cheering even louder than Yonsei, spilling out onto the pitch to dance and sing. I've never known anywhere to have a stronger school spirit than KU, whose students had a huge street party, drinking and singing the cheers well into the night.

The crowd

People were more interested in the cheer than the game
Ku Students spilling out onto the pitch to cheer some more
Me!

The next week the Korean culture class took a day trip to Busan in the South. The trip took 4 hours by coach (which I mostly slept through). Our first port of call was the United Nations Memorial Park where we learnt about the Korean war and got to walk around the park. The park itself was beautiful, quiet and very peaceful with beautiful memorials. Next we headed over to Heundae beach to relax and have a paddle in the sea, I was just sad that I hadn't thought to bring a swimsuit!



There are lots more exciting trips and activities planned for this month, so I'll be taking lots of photos for my next blog post!

No comments:

Post a Comment